The NIH (National Institute of Health) established the following criteria for surgical consideration:
- BMI ≥ 40, or more than 100 pounds overweight.
- BMI ≥35 and at least two obesity-related co-morbidities such as type II diabetes (T2DM), hypertension, sleep apnea and other respiratory disorders, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, osteoarthritis, lipid abnormalities, gastrointestinal disorders, or heart disease.
Weight Loss Surgery Candidate requirements by Houston Weight Loss Surgery Center guidelines include:
- Patient is at least 18 years old
- Patient has failed medically supervised attempts at weight loss.
- Patient understands bariatric surgery and its risks
- Patient commits to lifestyle changes before and after surgery
- Patient understands the basic concepts of healthy eating, grocery shopping and home cooking
- Patient understands that bariatric surgery and lifestyle changes go hand in hand in achieving permanent weight loss
- Patient is medically cleared for general anesthesia
- Patient is cleared by Houston Weight loss Surgery Center psychiatrist